Steam always add a new dimension to food photography, adding steam in your image will make the Hot food more live and perfect.
I never use flash while shooting food and the other most important part is if you want to capture steam you have to keep the shutter speed below 1/30 to capture the creamy steam effect.
Now let’s talk about the Nikon patent – Nikon filed a patent for detect snow or steam by monitoring the scene via infrared detectors.
Take a look at the patent details
Description, self-interpretation of the patent literature
- Patent Publication No. 2015-177313
- Published 2015.10.5
- Filing date 2014.3.14
- Nikon patents
- Get the temperature distribution image by the infrared thermography
- And measuring the temperature of the subject and the outside air temperature
- If there is a temperature difference, it is determined that steam and cool air is generated to synthesize the captured image with the captured image and a flash is not used with flash
- Steam and cool air is emphasized by the scattering of light If you use the flash
source – egami