Fujifilm announces the XQ2 – a super-compact and ultra-lightweight premium X Series camera
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) is proud to announce the launch of the new FUJIFILM XQ2, the smallest camera in the premium X Series range.
The XQ2 is a deceptively powerful camera offering advanced X Series image quality and functionality in a very small package. Suited to both amateurs and enthusiasts, the XQ2 is compact enough to carry with you at all times, captures superb shots and offers plenty of creative effects.
- The pocket-sized XQ2 features a versatile F1.8 4x zoom lens alongside many features seen on the recently-launched and highly regarded FUJIFILM X30, including the same 2/3-inch X-Trans™* CMOS II sensor, EXR Processor II, highly-evolved AF and new “Classic Chrome” Film Simulation mode.
- At 2/3-inch, the XQ2’s sensor is approximately double** the size of those found in ordinary compact digital cameras and also able to deliver the world’s fastest*** AF speed at just 0.06 seconds.
- At an ultra-slim 100×58.5×33.3mm (WxHxD) it’s also one of the most pocketable advanced cameras around, but there’s no compromise on performance or image quality. What’s more, the XQ2’s elegant design and classy finish really makes it stand out. Available in luxurious black, silver or white finishes, it is the perfect premium compact for discerning photographers.
Unique sensor design and X Series image quality
The XQ2’s 2/3-inch X-Trans™ CMOS II sensor has a unique, random pixel array which controls moiré and false colors without the need for an optical low-pass filter. This enables light from the lens to pass straight to the sensor delivering excellent resolution and low noise.
Bright F1.8 lens
The ultra-bright lens on the XQ2 has a wide-angle maximum aperture of F1.8, and a 4x zoom (25-100mm*4) and constructed with four aspherical and three extra-low dispersion elements, with all lens surfaces covered in Fujinon’s unique HT-EBC coating to reduce flare and ghosting. The bright F1.8 aperture allows a natural bokeh effect in the background, creating a beautiful contrast with the main subject, and the lens’s 3.0 stop*5 optical image stabilization keeps pictures sharper when using the camera in low-light conditions.
In addition, Fujifilm’s unique “Lens Modulation Optimizer” image processing technology maximizes lens performance by correcting optical effects like diffraction, based on the unique light-gathering performance and characteristics of each lens setting.
Speedy and responsive shooting
With its instinctive focusing and quick start-up time, the XQ2 won’t let you down when you need to capture a fleeting moment. It boasts the world’s fastest AF of just 0.06 seconds and a shooting interval of 0.3 seconds until the next shot can be taken, while shutter lag is an almost unnoticeable 0.015 seconds.
Using an evolved algorithm to boost performance, the AF system examines each subject and scene, and automatically switches between Contrast AF mode, which is accurate even in low light, and Phase Detection AF mode, which is faster for shooting moving subjects. This ensures speedy and accurate autofocus for any type of scene or subject. The new Multi AF automatically selects up to nine focus areas for accurate focusing across the frame and the ability to detect human faces enhances AF accuracy even further.
Easy operation and great handling
The premium finish of the camera body and its ease of operation give the XQ2 a truly sophisticated feel. From its Advanced Filters to manual focusing, or setting the aperture and shutter speed, a variety of functions can be set by turning the control ring, textured and machined aluminum, fitted around the lens. This tactile control avoids the need to go into the menu and speeds up operation, plus it’s easy to access your own preferred functions, using the extended function (E-Fn) button on the back of the camera.
Transfer images wirelessly
Wireless image transfer is simple from the XQ2 to a smartphone or tablet once the free FUJIFILM Camera Application has been installed. There are no troublesome ID and password settings; just press the Wi-Fi®*6 button on the camera and instantly add the images to your blog or share them with friends via social networking sites. Users can also set the XQ2 to read its location from smartphones and tablets, enabling them to keep a record of where they took their shots. Wi-Fi transfer also enables wireless backup of photos and movies onto your computer*7 and printing is easy, too – just send images to an Instax SHARE Smartphone Printer SP-1 for Instax instant film prints.
Focus and review in comfort
The XQ2’s 3.0-inch 920K-dot LCD makes viewing easy, even in bright conditions thanks to its high-contrast, anti-reflective glass and 85° vertical and horizontal viewing angles. The LCD also helps users achieve critically sharp shots when using manual focus, thanks to its Focus Peak Highlight mode, where in-focus areas of the subject can be instantly recognized by a high-contrast outline.
Perfect colors and creative options
Fujifilm’s unprecedented image quality has been cultivated through the development of photographic films over the past 80 years, reproducing warm skin tones, bright blue skies and rich greens in trees and grass, just as photographers remember the scene. Building on this extensive expertise, the XQ2 features the new, “Classic Chrome” Film Simulation mode, which delivers muted tones and deep color reproduction. Classic Chrome is just one of nine different modes that simulate the effects of traditional Fujifilm films, including color reversal film effects (Velvia / PROVIA / ASTIA), monochrome filters (MONOCHROME, Ye filter, R filter and G filter) and SEPIA.
Providing additional creative options, the XQ2 features eight Advanced Filter functions:
Pop Color – Emphasizes contrast and color saturation
Toy Camera – Creates shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera
Miniature – Adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect
Dynamic Tone – Creates a fantasy effect by boosting tones
Partial Color – Retains one selected original color and changes the rest of the photo to black & white. Colors can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple High Key – Enhances brightness and reduces contrast to lighten tonal reproduction
Low Key – Creates uniformly dark tones with few areas of emphasized highlights
Soft Focus – Creates a look that is soft throughout the whole image
A separate Multiple Exposure function offers users the chance to combine two separate subjects into one photo. For further creative control, the camera’s aspect ratio can be switched between 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 (square) to accommodate a wide range of photographic styles. The XQ2 also features an ADVANCED SR AUTO mode, which recognizes faces and scene types, letting users shoot everything from portraits to landscapes and even moving subjects while the XQ2 optimizes the focus, exposure, ISO and other settings.
The built-in Super Intelligent Flash accurately controls the flash power required for any shooting situation, so natural-looking indoor portraits, macro subjects, or food images can all be taken while over-exposure is carefully controlled. The same function means that strongly backlit subjects, like portraits, will also be beautifully and naturally illuminated bringing out all the detail you want from shadow areas.
Process RAWs on the move
Through the in-camera RAW development function, a RAW image can be converted to JPEG without the need for additional software and a computer.
Shoot HD Movies
Movies can be filmed in Full HD at 60fps and the dedicated image stabilization function helps keep videos smooth when shooting handheld. If you want to explore the movie director in you, then try out the Film Simulation Modes to give your videos a distinctive and creative look.
- * “X-Trans” is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation
- ** Compared with a 1/2.3-inch sensor. Approximately 1.3 times of a 1 /1.7-inch sensor
- *** Fujifilm research as of December 2014. Compared with other digital cameras equipped with 2/3-inch sensor or larger, based on CIPA standards, and conducted in High Performance mode.
- *4 35mm format equivalent.
- *5 CIPA standards.
- *6 Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
- *7 This function requires installation of the free application software FUJIFILM PC AutoSave in your personal computer.
FUJIFILM XQ2 Key features list:
- Ultra-pocketable X-series premium compact size
- 12 megapixel 2/3inch X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- Original color filter array to control moiré and false color without an optical low pass filter
- EXR Processor II
- F1.8-F4.9 4x optical zoom lens (equivalent to 25-100mm in 35mm format)
- 4x intelligent digital zoom (16X combined with optical zoom)
- Lens Modulation Optimizer for improved image quality
- Wireless transfer of images using FUJIFILM Camera Application app
- 3-inch 920K-dot premium LCD with 85°vertical and horizontal viewing angle
- In-camera RAW converter
- ISO100 – 12800
- Built-in Super Intelligent Flash
- Advanced Creative functions:
- Nine Film Simulation modes: PROVIA, Velvia, ASTIA, CLASSIC CHROME, MONOCHROME, Ye filter, R filter and G filter, and Sepia
- Eight Advanced Filter effects: Toy Camera, Miniature, Dynamic Tone, Pop Color, Soft Focus, High Key, Low Key, and Partial Color
- Full HD Movie mode
- Bottom leather case (Black BLC-XQ1 BC and Brown BLC-XQ1 BW)
- Waterproof case WP-XQ1 for depth to 40 meters
- O Ring Kit ORK-XQ1